“Dedicated to providing gentle, compassionate care for companion animals”

 
1458

From your friends at Animal Wellness Center

Summer Pet SafetyWishing You and Your Pet a Safe Summer!

Summer is a time for family fun and for many the family includes our four-legged canine companion. With the fun, summer poses special threats to our canine companions.
We love to spend time outdoors in the nice weather everything from trips to the local park, camping, traveling and outside play time. With this comes the potential for your canine friend to get lost. One in three pets goes missing during their lifetime. To protect your pet, we recommend HomeAgain microchip. It is safe, easy and painless for your pet. A microchip for both dogs and cats gives the best protection as a permanent identification for your pet.

How it works
A microchip implant takes just seconds at our Maple Grove, MN clinic. Our Animal Wellness Center veterinarians simply insert a microchip about the size of a grain of rice. The process is similar to a routine vaccination. If your pet does get lost, the microchip is read by passing a scanner over your pet’s shoulder blades. And, your pet is reunited with you.

Call the Animal Wellness Center at 763.420.7958 today to make your appointment for a HomeAgain microchip.

Other summer hazards
•    Heat. We love warm weather, but it can be dangerous for your pet. Never leave your pet in a car on a warm day. Temperatures can climb to dangerous levels in just minutes causing life-threatening heat stroke.
•    Heat stroke. Know the signs. Remember our pets wear “fur” coats all year. Most canine friends will not slow down and take a break if they are doing what they love with their owners. So be sure to watch your pet, take breaks, and if you suspect your pet is suffering from heat stroke, get medical attention immediately.
•    Always provide plenty of fresh, cold water.
•    Consider your pet’s housing. If your pet stays outdoors, be sure he has a shady area. Even add a child’s pool so your pet will have a place to cool off.
•    On hot days, exercise your dog in the early morning or evening hours. Even if your pet is in excellent physical condition, they can’t cool themselves as humans can and may suffer from heat stroke.
•    Be careful of hot pavement and sand. These can burn your pet’s pads.
•    Make sure your pet’s vaccinations are up to date. More outdoor time means more contact with other pets.
•    Keep your pet off lawns that have been chemically treated or fertilized for at least 24 hours.
•    Remember to protect your pet from heartworm. Call us for more details.
•    We all love a cool dip in the lake or pool. Always supervise pets when they are swimming.
•    Some pets enjoy gardening with their owners. Be careful of plants that are toxic to pets. Another potential danger: cocoa bean mulch. Dogs who consume enough cocoa bean mulch can potentially develop signs similar to chocolate poisoning, including vomiting and diarrhea.
•    If you plan to travel with your pet, be sure to check out the local veterinarian in the area once you arrive. That way, you’ll be prepared if an emergency happens.
•    Antifreeze is a year-round hazard. With warmer weather, cars may overheat and leak antifreeze. This highly toxic liquid has a sweet taste that pets find appealing. If your pet ingests antifreeze, get medical help immediately.

We’re here for you
If you have any concerns or questions about your pet, call us at 763.420.7958. The Animal Wellness Center team is here to make sure you and your pet have a healthy and happy Minnesota summer.

Image credit: Noam Armonn-Photos.com

 

 

Continue reading
1307

As a pet owner, you probably already know that chocolate can cause severe, possibly life-threatening toxicity in dogs and cats. However, a lesser-known artificial sweetener called xylitol can be deadly to our pets – and it is present in many brands of chewing gum, sugar free candy, mints, and other food products. With Halloween just around the corner, the kids may be bringing these items home in droves.

Xylitol is not dangerous for humans to consume, and in fact is a popular sweetener in baked goods marketed towards people with diabetes. However, in dogs and cats, xylitol causes a profound release of insulin into the bloodstream. This hormone causes a sudden drop in the patient’s blood glucose level, leading to ataxia (imbalance and weakness), collapse, and seizures. In some cases, the pet may not show any clinical signs in the first 24-48 hours but then develop acute liver failure and blood clotting abnormalities, which is often fatal.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t take much xylitol to cause these critical complications. One or two sticks of chewing gum containing xylitol can poison a 20 pound dog. Therefore, if your pet accidentally ingests any gum, candy, or other products possibly containing xylitol, don’t wait – bring them to the hospital as soon as possible for evaluation and treatment.

Continue reading