Animal Wellness Center of Maple Grove has added an exciting new technology to alleviate pain, speed healing and reduce inflammation using light energy. Our MLS Therapy Laser delivers light energy from the near infrared spectrum at both 808 nm in a continuous form and 905 nm in a pulsed form. It is superior to other Class 4 lasers because it can deliver both frequencies simultaneously creating the maximal benefit to the patient.
How can light waves help with healing and reduce pain?
The light waves emitted by Therapy Lasers harmlessly penetrate tissue. Through a process called photobiostimulation the light energy is taken up by damaged cells of the body and absorbed by the mitochondria. Mitochondria are organelles which act as the power house for the cell. The light energy is then converted to usable fuel for the cell to use for healing and regeneration.
How does photobiostimulation benefit the patient?
Light energy puts damaged cells back into a positive energy flow. Think about refueling you car with energy in the form of gasoline. Without gasoline your car isn’t going to take you anywhere. But given a source of usable energy your car now has the ability to perform its work. Similarly, the cell receiving laser energy has the ability to participate in healing and regeneration of new, healthy cells.
What are the tissue effects of photobiostimulation?
1. Anti-inflammatory – causes vasodilatation and improves lymphatic drainage which reduce inflammation
2. Analgesic- causes release of endorphins and encephalin, pain decreases as inflammation decreases, decreases nerve cell sensitivity
3. Accelerated Tissue Repair and Cell Growth- increases the energy available to the cell allowing the cell to take on nutrients faster and eliminate waste products
4. Improved Vascular Activity – accelerated angiogenesis (new capillary formation)
5. Faster Wound Healing – stimulates fibroblast development, which increases the production of collagen.
What conditions can be treated with Laser Therapy?
Virtually any patient who has a condition that involves acute or chronic pain or inflammation can be helped by laser light energy. Some of the most common indications we see are arthritis, post operative pain and inflammation, trauma, dental pain, ear infections, hot spots, tendon or ligament injury and wounds. We are so pleased with the results we have seen using this technology that we now include it’s use for all of our spay, neuter and declaw patients.
Laser Therapy is completely painless so there is no need for sedation. Most therapy sessions take about 20 minutes. The number and frequency of treatments depend on the condition being treated. If you think your pet might be helped with Laser Therapy, please call us and we can arrange for an evaluation with one of our veterinarians.